Diet…That dreaded word!
You know, I have a friend, Naomi, who can never, I mean ever, stick to a diet! She always says “I’ll start on Monday.” When Monday comes, she cheats and she’d say “I’ll start next Monday for sure.” Guess what, no Monday is ever the right Monday to start.
So for all the “Naomis” out there, here are some tips for you:
- The #1 rule for dieting is motivation. If you have the motivation and are determined, you will surely succeed.
- Don’t make radical changes to your nutrition and don’t deprive yourself.
- Here’s a situation: you spend a whole 2 weeks not eating carbs, you’re so proud of yourself, but let’s be real, there are always temptations. If you happen to get your hands on a chocolate cake, you’re going to devour that thing like a hungry beast! And guess what, it will be like you never spent those 2 weeks, and you’re going to have a calorie overdose! You don’t want that, do you? –> The point is, eat chocolate cake, but in moderation. As goes the saying (well, a quote from “Fight for this love” by Cheryl Cole), “Too much of anything can make you sick, even the good can be a curse.”
- Eat fresh fruits and veggies. Yes, I know, you’ve heard it before, but it’s still true. It’s important to stay healthy while losing weight.
- Drink lots of water. Yet another cliché, but whatcha gonna do? Water is the best thing you could ever put into your body. The reason why that is, is because when we drink, it’s like we wash our insides, and it makes all the bad stuff (i.e. toxins, bacteria…) get out of our body when we pee. Plus, it can help you in your diet because it makes feel temporarily full; so, whenever you feel the urge to snack, drink water and that urge will go away!
Those are the basics. Now, let’s talk money!
Some say that losing weight can be quite expensive; from gym memberships, to health food stores, maybe even diet pills. I say, to hell with all of that!
Losing weight doesn’t need to be expensive. Indeed, it can be less expensive that not losing it.
Let’s face it, are you really going to use that gym membership to the fullest? The honest answer is: no!
- You want to use the treadmill, use the one you have right outside your home…the street! Go for a walk or a jog around the neighbourhood and smell the fresh air. Here’s the best part: it’s 100% FREE!
- Throw away those diet pills and drop the act! Sorry for being a wee bit blunt, but that’s all it is, an act. What do pills promise? “Lose weight without going to the gym or by eating whatever you feel like eating…” Does that sound healthy or even logical to you?
- Learn to make your food from scratch. I know we all have a bit of that lazy gene in us, but let’s put our thinking caps on for a second; it’s fun, healthy, inexpensive, so why not?
- Eat out as little as possible. Eating out can be quite expensive, so leave it for those special occasions and don’t make a habit out of it.